Red Pepper and Mozzarella Stuffed Basil Burgers

OOOOO! I have been on a major burger kick lately, well a stuffed burger kick really, and this is by far my favorite yet! I don't know why I never was a burger fan before, I have really been missing out!! 

I served it with what I will call "Mediterranean dirty rice"...I had to really practice will power to not eat ALL of it, because it was THAT good! I grew up eating endless amounts of feta and olives from a local Mediterranean market, so anything with those in it, is HEAVEN in my book...ha ha! 

So...the burgers are super simple and I will show you pictures of each step to try and simplify how to make them :) 

For the burgers- what you'll need:
-1 lb lean ground beef (I used 97/3)
-6 to 8 fresh minced garlic cloves (I use a garlic press but you can also dice them by hand) 
-4 tsp dried basil
-4 fresh mint leaves, diced fine
-4 low moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese medallions (I buy the mozzarella that is round and pre sliced into 1 oz pieces)
-roasted red pepper slices, 8 total 
-dash of black pepper

How to make it: 
Throw your pound of ground beef in a large mixing bowl. Add your dried basil, chopped mint, minced garlic and black pepper to the bowl. Combine well with your hands. Separate into 4 equal portions, as you will be making 4 burgers. Then lay them out on a cutting board. Separate each fourth, in half. So you have 8 portions total. This way you have 2 separate pieces to make each burger, and now you will stuff them...!


Take each of the 8 portions and flatten them in the palm of your hand into a normal burger shape. Then, take 4, top with 1/2 a slice of mozzarella and 2 red pepper slices. 


It will look like this! Then, you add the second 4 halves of the burgers on top of each. 
So it will look like the picture below for each burger. Then, with your fingers, gently pinch the sides together so your cheese and peppers are secured into the middle. 


Throw your burgers into a frying pan on medium heat, once pan is already heated up. I added 1 tsp of oil to the pan before putting them in. Cook about 4-6 minutes on one side. Flip burgers over. Add another 1/2 slice of mozzarella on top of each burger and cover frying pan with a lid. Cook 3-4 minutes or until burger is cook to your desired temperature and cheese is melted. Mine came out medium well. 
And they are done! YUMMM.  :) 

If you would like to make my "Mediterranean dirty rice"...here is that recipe!

What you will need:
-4 servings of instant brown rice, cooked according to directions. This will make 4 servings.
Add:
- 4 tsp roasted red peppers, chopped
-4 tsp kalamata olives, sliced
-4 tsp feta cheese, cut into cubes
& 2 tsp of capers! 
I added 2 tsp of dried basil, 3 fresh mint leaves sliced, and 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar...this is what it should look like below. Then toss gently until ingredients are combined and serve alongside your burger! 
ENJOY!