Kale, Quinoa & Berry Salad 

As I was making my lunch today, I thought about the quote "you are what you eat." And in that case, it looks like I'm gonna be feeling fancy & bright this afternoon! I LOVE pretty food. Pretty food just tastes better, in my book!
Healthy nutrition is so much simpler than I ever thought it. Why? I stopped looking for quick fixes, focusing on vanity & instant gratification & instead I shifted to focus on health, wellness & a balanced lifestyle. I found what works for me (the 21 Day Fix meal plan) and I've stuck to it for 2 1/2 years. đŸ’•
To sum it up, if you eat good fuel, in the proper portions, you feel GOOD. Energized. Happier. You have more focus & clarity. Same goes for the opposite. If you eat crap, you'll feel like crap. We all want to feel good, right?!  So, it's important to make time to feed yourself well! 
And recipes like this are my go to because they are SO simple and quick to make during a busy week! It is also easy to make ahead and take on the go!
(I usually food prep every Sunday, before heading into a new week. If I don't plan, it makes it much harder to stick to my nutrition plan & it's easier to fall off track or grab things that I usually wouldn't! So if you want to succeed, I believe prepping  or planning is key! 
When I do my food prep, I always make chicken to have on hand. Sometimes I make it in the crockpot, sometimes I bake it. This week, the chicken on this salad was just boneless skinless chicken breast that I sautĂ©ed in a tsp of coconut oil with Mrs. Dash! Then, its easy to throw on salads, in quinoa bowls or in wraps during the week! 
I also prep a large batch of quinoa (just follow directions on the package). I like to add a little garlic powder and dried basil to mine as it is cooking for flavor. It's my go to for grains. It is higher in protein, full of fiber so it keeps me full & gives me great energy unless processed carbohydrates.)

For this salad, here is what you will need: 
-1 cup kale, rinsed and chopped
-3/4 cup of chicken
-1/2 cup of cooked quinoa 
-1/2 cup bell pepper (any color will do!)
-1/2 cup of raw beets, cut into cubes
-1/2 cup blueberries 
-1/2 cup of strawberries, sliced 
-1 Tbsp of sliced almonds (or sunflower seeds!)
Optional: some goat or feta cheese crumbles! YUM!

To put it together, I first get a large plate. I lay the chopped kale on the plate first and spread it out. Then, I lay the rest of the ingredients on top, in rows, side by side, to make it look pretty! You could just dump it all together in a bowl too! 

For dressing, I used 1 tsp of olive oil, 1-2 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar, a dash of dried basil, a dash of sea salt and black pepper! You could also use a serving of your favorite vinaigrette! 

ENJOY!
Eat like ya love yourself. That's my motto and I'm sticking to it.

21 Day Fixers: This fits in your meal plan & counts as 2 green, 1 yellow, 1 purple, 1 red, 1/2 blue, 1 tsp! If you use cheese, count that too! :)

Struggle with your fitness or nutrition journey and interested in finding a healthier lifestyle? Id love to help you! Email me at danafotiades@gmail.com or apply for my next upcoming challenge group here ----> https://thehealthyempoweredmama.wufoo.com/forms/join-danas-health-fitness-bootcamp-community/